HMRC has confirmed that the VAT payment deferral period ends on 30 June 2020. Practical steps that businesses should consider before the end of June include the following:
1) chase your debtor- collect in your cash;
2) review whether you can make any claims for bad debt relief;
3) review your input claims;
4) set-up cancelled direct debits in favour of HMRC;
5) continue submitting VAT returns;
6) pay the VAT in full on payments due after 30 June 2020;
7) remember VAT payments deferred need to be paid in full by 31 March 2021;
8) consider whether you need further debt funding, including the Government-backed loans; and
9) remember it is always better to speak to HMRC about putting in place "time to pay" arrangements in advance, than simply to pay late.
Unfortunately, it is likely that, for many businesses, the end of June 2020 will be a difficult period, with VAT becoming payable and rent demands due at the same time.
Temporary changes to the VAT payments due between 20 March 2020 and 30 June 2020 to help businesses manage their cash flow